The Moselle River 1944 Association announces
the Commemoration Events of the 75th Anniversary
of the Liberation of the Moselle in November 2019
UPDATE - - - - 23 June 2019 - - - -
Registration Information is Now Posted!!
The Moselle River 1944 Association has announced the commemoration events of the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Department of the Moselle in France. The events will be held in November of 2019 and will be organized around the weekend of November 16-17. A welcome cocktail evening will occur on the evening of Thursday November 14 and attendees will be able to make their departure home on Wednesday November 20. This will allow about one week for everyone to attend the various ceremonies and local visits that are planned in the Thionville area.
The city and town governments of Thionville, Terville, Malling and the council of the Moselle have already expressed their full-hearted support of the 75th anniversary commemoration.
Numerous military vehicle clubs and their re-enactors have committed to participate in the ceremonies. The grand parade that will take place in Thionville is planned to be as grand and as impressive as the parade that was held in 2014 at the 70th anniversary celebration.
The following additional details are now known...
• On Thursday, November 14, the welcome cocktail time will be hosted after an opening ceremony at Metzervisse.
• Friday, November 15 will be dedicated to ceremonies for the crossing of the Moselle River in the sector of Malling - Basse Ham - Koenigsmacker.
• On Saturday and Sunday, November 16 and 17, the festivities will unfold in Thionville, as in 2014, with parades of historic military vehicles and a USAFE band concert on Sunday afternoon.
• During the morning of Monday, November 18, we will visit the Lorraine American Cemetery in St. Avold where there will be a joint ceremony with the Metz commemoration group. On Monday afternoon, we will visit Fort Hackenberg of the Maginot Line at Veckring, culminating with a ceremony at the foot of the monument which honors Joseph Messina of the 95th Infantry Division.
• During the morning of Tuesday, November 19, we will visit our friends at Sillegny, who are dedicated to the memory of the service of the 7th Armored Division. During that afternoon we will visit Fort Driant.
• The cost of the hotel in Thionville, which will include breakfast, will be the responsibility of the American participants. A group rate is being arranged at the Kyriad Prestige Hotel in Thionville.
If you have any interest in attending the 75th anniversary commemoration in November of 2019, please send an email to MR1944@10tharmored.com with your name and the number of people in your party who may like to attend. We will keep you updated as more details are known and as the November date draws closer.
We hope to see many of you in the Moselle in November of 2019! Please see photos of the 2014 celebration below.
Your 10th Armored Division Moselle River 1944 team
Additional photos of the 2014 festivities can be viewed here -- https://10tharmored.com/photos_MR1944-2014
The Moselle River 1944 70th Anniversary Celebration in Thionville, France -- November 2014 (below)